STEP 1, STEP 2 CK, AND STEP 2 CS
To be eligible, you must be in one of the following categories at the time of application and on the test day:
- a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US or Canadian medical school program leading to the MD degree that is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME),
- a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a US medical school leading to the DO degree that is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), or
- a medical student officially enrolled in, or a graduate of, a medical school outside the United States and Canada and eligible for examination by the ECFMG.
If you have been dismissed from medical school, you are not eligible for USMLE, even if you are appealing the school’s decision to dismiss you.
To be eligible for Step 3, prior to submitting your application, you must:
- obtain the MD degree (or its equivalent) or the DO degree,
- pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and, if required based upon the rules referenced below, Step 2 CS.
- obtain certification by the ECFMG or successfully complete a “Fifth Pathway” program if you are a graduate of a medical school outside the United States and Canada (information on Fifth Pathway programs is available in ECFMG’s Information Booklet), and
- meet the Step 3 requirements set by the medical licensing authority to which you are applying.